The following method to measure for a walking stick is recommended by physiotherapists to determine the correct height for you.
- Standing upright wearing your usual shoes, let your arms hang naturally by your side.
- Ask a friend to position the stick next to you with the ferrule resting on the floor and the shaft standing straight beside you.
- Adjust the length of the stick so that the top of the handle is level with the bump at the bottom of the wrist bone. Height adjustable walking sticks have a small button on the shaft. Press this button, slide the inner shaft up or down to the required length and allow the button to release into the right hole.
- Check the height, your arm should be slightly bent when holding the handle and your shoulders should be level. A stick that is too high will make your shoulders hunch up. A stick that is too short will make you stoop.
- If you are buying a stick online and can't use the actual walking stick to measure, simply use a tape measure and a broom handle or some other long stick to measure the distance from the wrist bone to the floor.
If you cannot get the perfect height with an adjustable walking stick, you could opt for a wooden walking cane which can be adjusted by sawing off the bottom.
Please note that this information is a guide only. Consult your doctor or physiotherapist if you require specific, medical advice.